Wednesday, May 25, 2016


This was a process. Did I wake up and decided we needed chickens? No, not really. I think this whole chicken things was a combination of many factors. Without being political, I think this world is on its last days. I don't know when we will depart the earth but the signs of impending doom are clearly visible. That made me consider my options in terms of food and water. Water will be an issue but I do have some food put away. We live in earthquake country and the USGS is making noises again about how overdue it is. Living between the San Andres and Coachella faults guarantees we might have some shaking. It's better to be prepared than not.  So no matter how you look at it: a renewable food source is a must. 

I do have a garden. This is the second year of planting with straw bales. I love this method. It simple and brings it up to my level. I also bought a small greenhouse for growing in the winter. I am quite happy with my setup since we live on a small lot and have learned to use our space wisely.

It was easier than I expected when I mentioned to my husband I wanted a few chickens. He loves food and lives to eat. He is really fond of eggs in any form. That was easy but I was surprised at how quickly he decided a few chickens would be wonderful. It took a little bit of money to buy a small coop and a little more to prepare a safe area for them. We got our chickens yesterday. They are in the coop today but tomorrow, I will let them out into the bigger prepared area. We have a dog who is not quite sure what to do with them yet so we need her to understand these are pets just like she is. When she is okay with the chickens, we will let them run the yard (except the garden which will need to be fenced off).

So the adventure begins. We know nothing about chickens. I have lots of friends with knowledge and they assure me we will be just fine. New chapter in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment